1 hour later and I'm still smiling...that is a good sign, right? Oh yeah, in case you haven't kept up, tonight was drinks with Cutie! So, while I almost backed out on the short drive North, I was talked off the ledge by my younger but very wise sister who pretty much told me I was going and that was that. I arrived a few minutes early, big shocker as I'm never late to anything and proceeded to find a place at the bar. My stomach actually hurt I was so nervous. Who knows why! I am 41 years old, have no trouble speaking to crowds of hundreds/thousands of people, am pretty confident but the thought of having to be impressive and witty and wow him with my charm was almost too much.
He texted to say he was going to be a few minutes late so I ordered a drink and waited for it to kick in and calm my nerves. Within minutes of his arrival all of my fears went out the window and I just got to be myself...and that isn't a bad person to be. Two drinks and four hours of laughing and talking later and we finally decided to call it a night. He was cynical, smart, sarcastic, funny...and, of course, as adorable as I remembered so really, what was I so concerned about. Oh yeah, he's still almost 10 years younger but we'll just ignore that fact for now. We'll just focus on the fact he seemed genuinely happy to see me and we covered every topic under the sun...and again, were there for four hours! He didn't even notice the uneven tan lines on my face...bonus!!
Now, the tough part...making myself not be a chick! Do not wonder if he's going to call! Do not psychoanalyze every little comment. Just enjoy the night out. Just relish the knowledge that not once during that time did you wish you were sitting with Alex instead. And, really, only when I was driving home, did I think of him...and then it was in a witchy sort of way..."Wow, Cutie really is cute...and, well, the 8th dwarf isn't".
Again, who knows if I'll ever hear from him again...but, really, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things...I had a great time...laughed, smiled....and....even got a good night kiss out of the deal. And right now, that is really enough to make me happy.
Glad you had fun. I was thinking about you! You are right not to stress about it. Just relax and see where it goes. In response to your previous post, I have always wanted to try to the spray tan thing but am chicken. Given my super fair complexion, figured I would look like a pumpkin/squash!
ReplyDeleteYay for Cutie! I'm so happy for you! Going on the first date with someone that turns out to be really great after going through an unbelievably tough break up is so totally refreshing. It's a reminder that YOU are incredible and you definitely made the right choice! Can't wait to hear more about Cutie!
ReplyDelete