Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why attention to detail is so important

As you've figured out by now, I'm prone to confessions at times. Not that I have that much to confess to as I spend most of my time with my kids and my dog...unless you count polishing off a bag of jelly beans in 2 days as a confession-able act.  It was a small bag however and they're fruit flavored so it really is almost like eating health food.  Oh yeah, justification is something I should confess to as well.

Anyhow, my actual transgression...I like to be tan.  I like the way I look in white and black clothes when I have a tan.  I think my face looks younger.  And, probably even more important than anything else, I swear being tan cuts off about 5 pounds.  And, right now, I could use that assistance. But, how I tan has definitely changed over the years.

While I never was one to slather on the baby oil and lay on aluminum foil (mostly because I got waaayyy too bored), I used to love to put a raft in our pool and float the day away.  But, having 2 kids with lives of their own meant my pretend lady of leisure time was pretty limited.  So, I started tanning (yes in the horrible baker beds) and would often use that as mid day naps.  I had it timed so I could start my music, fall asleep as soon as the blue light came on and wake up feeling refreshed and a few shades darker. 

But, after seeing numerous pictures of women who looked like they had replaced their faces with worn out leathered saddles as they aged, I decided I was done with the fake and bake.I was cautious as I did not want to look like Ross (yes, another Friends' analogy) during his pumpkin phase, so was very leery about the entire spray tan concept.  However, I reminded myself yet again, that was a fictional television show and really, how hard could the entire thing be?  I mean don't you just stand and turn, stand and turn?  So, after a friend raved about her experience I decided to give it a spin or, spray I guess. 

I was impressed!  In a matter of 10 minutes I actually looked like I had spent the week in the islands and I didn't look orange.  My face was a little tanner than I would have liked but after a day it faded to a really nice glow.  So one might think after a few times of knowing the drill, I wouldn't be able to screw it up.  But yet, on my last visit (the one to make sure I was glowing, youthful and 5 pounds lighter for drinks Friday night) I must not have been paying attention to the pre game warm up...especially the part about where the hair net should meet your skin.  The part that said, make sure it is right below your hair line.  The very important instruction that avoids having a centimeter path of much lighter skin between my hair and the beautiful glow of Level #2 on the spray machine!  I almost fell over when I got home!

Yet, don't freak out too much...after 2 days of washing my face, layering that tiny track with self tanning spray and well, a little make up and, fortunately I think I can get away with it.  Also, bars have bad lighting for a reason...reasons that are usually a little more pronounced than my uneven tan lines.  So, while I'm obviously going to revisit my check list before hitting the ever so important start button, I am hoping Cutie will be too enchanted (okay, a little strong), sort of interested with how hot I look in my cute white sundress to notice most of my face has been in Hawaii while that little oval didn't make the flight.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up! You soooo don't look like you fake bake at all. I love your tan ans was thinking the other day how great you always look in white! I could never do white. Good luck with cutie. I wanna know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured you'd appreciate this! Thanks for the encouragement and sweet words. By the way, I love laughing with you!!!

    ReplyDelete