Most of the time I really like my job...it is fun, challenging, and combines my love of politics with my inner Martha Stewart. A total win win. However, that changed this year, when due to circumstances completely out of my control, I inherited an event from another chapter in our statewide organization. Now, in my industry there are three very distinctive categories of women I get to deal with...2 versions of Prototypes I lovingly call them and then the normal people like me (but we are definitely in the minority). First you have the newer Silicon Valley version, which comes with Coach bags, 3 inch heels and what must be a very generous signing bonus from a local plastic surgeon as there is no other way to have that much perk and cleavage on every single one of them. And, then there is category number 2...the more seasoned, across the bridge, never met a can of Aqua Net she didn't like, still believes St. John Knits are made for any body style, make me crazy kind of women. Now, guess which group dominates the event I have learned to hate.
Outside of the fact this event takes place in a hotel an hour and a half from my house, on a Thursday night, from 6:30 until who knows when, its biggest flaw, by far, is the theme the committee chose. For starters, unless you are planning a prom, there really is no room for themes in professional events. I had a hard enough time with a Night in Paris when I was a junior in high school so to now be responsible for a western themed, black tie optional event for 350 people has not been my idea of a good time.
It is not a surprise to anyone who knows me that I'm a big fan of the South....but by South, I mean Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, with a few other states thrown in for good measure. Texas does not rank in that same level of affection for me...and especially when we are talking about fake Texas. For 4 months I've endured excruciatingly long meetings and conference calls to discuss how high the cactus should be on the table and where the Bat Masterson (yes, Bat Masterson) cardboard cut outs should go so couples can take pictures with him. Really?? Did I forget to mention this is an awards program, to honor individuals who have shown exemplary service in their categories for the past year? Don't sheriff badges and bolo ties just scream elegance and class to you? But my favorite part of the entire process has been the complete lack of understanding from the committee in regards to having a theme. "What? You mean people think they can wear jeans just because it is a Western event?" "Of course not! We can't serve barbecue food. What would people think?" Hmm...maybe they'd think it was a hoe down...since that is what we have portrayed. And, what exactly did you think "Dress in Your Best West" meant?
If I'm being honest though, I'm probably more frustrated with myself as my patience is not nearly as long as I like to say it is. And, shouldn't every good Martha Stewart rise to the occasion and throw the best darned party ever seen, regardless of the obstacles or wooden horses you have to overcome? And, really, aren't I more worried about what in the world I am going to wear than anything else? And, don't worry, there's always next year...Arabian Nights...okay, shoot me now...with a 6 shooter, please.
Oh my god.... I feel for you on this one. They are morons to think people will not show up in jeans to a western themed event. *sigh* And you know the only reason why they want the theme to be "Arabian Nights" next year is because those bimbos got all dolled up, big hair, fake bazooms blazing, and ran out to watch Sex and the City, not once, but at least twice and thought yes! I can dress up like a bedazzled genie slut AND get away with it at a work function... I LOVE IT! Do they think the men are really going to dress up like sheiks?
ReplyDelete