Every morning, never fail, I wake up with a song in my head. Rarely is it the same song twice nor is there really a consistency in even type of music. But, there it is, the alarm clock goes off and once my feet hit the floor, this tune starts. It is almost like a little good morning to myself...well, I guess that depends on the song. Some mornings it is Eminem, others it is Darius Rucker with a little Tim McGraw, Lady Gaga, Uncle Kracker, Usher and Rascal Flatts thrown in for good measure.
I used to love the show Ally McBeal and some of my favorite episodes involved the various theme songs the different characters would have. In most cases it would put a little extra oomph in their day...a little Aretha Franklin if one of them needed sass or a round of "Another One Bites the Dust" as they entered the courtroom. My morning melodies had not started yet at this point in my life and I remember thinking how each of us needed a theme song. Something that could help us find strength we didn't know we had. A tune to add a little swagger to our step. But, usually the characters would choose their theme songs to fit whatever situation they were facing...not me. My morning songs choose me.
I wonder if the songs actually have some meaning on my day and I don't know it. If it is an Alanis Morissette morning does that mean I'm going to be full of attitude and the full "don't mess" persona going on? How about a Van Morrison wake up call? Is that a cue I should kick back with a cup of coffee and just call it a lazy Sunday kind of day? I think I'll start paying a little more attention to the songs and the days that follow them now. Maybe a little notebook by my bed that I can refer to when planning my day. If waking up with Carrie Underwood in my head meant people took me seriously then the next time maybe I'll ask for a raise. Or, if a Led Zeppelin (yes, it has happened) tune is followed by bad traffic or no coffee, then any tune from LZ (whether I like it or not) means I don't get out of bed that day. I'll just call in with a bad theme song excuse. I'm sure that would go over well with Human Resources.
Well, maybe it isn't as simple as that but I really do think there must be some rhyme or reason to my tunes. And, if not, then can I just request the songs I want from now on? As much as my taste in music is diverse, I'd much rather have the voice of Tim McGraw waking me up softly, then that of Ludicrous. Just saying...
No comments:
Post a Comment