Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I vote no on aging...

I know it isn't actually a democracy where aging is concerned but, really, it should be.  Anything that has this deep of an impact on my life should really have warranted a little discussion, the ability to debate, heck, compromise just a tad.  But no, it continues to happen...bit by bit so that every time I look in the mirror now I have to do a double take to see who that incredibly mature woman is looking back at me.

This isn't a new dilemma, nor do I even pretend it is unique to me...but I was struck by the very tough reality that I was getting a manicure last night with my grandmother's hands.  Seriously, a few months ago I would look down and think, "hmm, there are a few more wrinkles than there used to be" but just shrug and move on.  Not so much anymore.  Now, these are the hands I remember from my childhood...fresh from the salon and smelling like lotion.  And, the saddest part was, my first thought was "how am I going to get a man with these hands?"  Seriously?! Now I have to add "likes my wrinkly, old lady hands" to my list!  Ugh!

Of course my hands aren't the only part of me that seems to be falling under the whole turning 42 spell.  I had my annual eye exam last week and, while I have the knack for always making my young, only kind of cute optometrist laugh, he did seem to giggle a little sheepishly when I joked about having to hold my menu out a little further than I used to.  I blamed it on my upper arm work outs...it is just better for your triceps to hold the menu at arm's length.  He didn't laugh as hard as I thought he would at my cute little joke...he answered "Yes, you are at that age".  That age?!?  The age of my parents?!  Again, this is not making me feel any sexier!

But my body did want to take a little pity on me and make me feel like I wasn't ready for social security just yet.  No, the checker didn't ask for my ID when I bought 6 bottles of wine.  And, no, the bagger didn't say "Hey cutie," instead of "Here you go, Ma'am".  No, this gift of youth was a complete acne break out.  Again, with the really?!  How is possible that my wrinkles have pimples?  Shouldn't that be against some sort of Mother Nature Law?  If you should be a candidate for massive amounts of botox, shouldn't you not have to buy Clearasil as well?

Don't worry, I haven't completely gone off the old lady rocker and started wearing housecoats with my slippers.  Actually, just the opposite and decided I'll give the old Oil of Olay tag line a new edge..I'll grow old gracefully just with a whole lot of sass! 

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny! We are so connected, after I washed dishes Sunday for the tenth time; I looked down and thought gosh, I have old lady hands. I need to start wearing gloves, but that is totally grandma(ish).

    Love you and I think you just put post like this for me to tell you to stop and that you look fabulous. Love you bunches! haha xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete