Saturday, April 30, 2011

Calling Cinderella

Well, it is official...I have reached the bottom of the cynicism barrel & my chick card is definitely going to be revoked.  I did not, even for a second, think of waking up at 3:00 am (or whatever insane middle of the night time it was) to watch The Royal Wedding.  I am not, by any means, ragging on my family and friends who did, just commenting that I am just putting this little tidbit in a long line of reasons why I truly am a female enigma.  I watched the NFL draft, but not the storybook ceremony of what every little girl dreams of being...a princess.

I'm sure I could come up with numerous reasons why I am this anomaly of the female species...like I wasn't allowed to play with Barbie dolls as a child which, I am sure explains so many things about me today.  Or, I could say it is because I did get up as a teenager and watch every minute of Charles & Diana's big day and look where that got them.  Maybe it is because I had the fairy tale wedding, complete with the groom who thought he was our small town's answer to royalty.  And, again, look where that turned out.  Finally, it could be because I really did meet the love of my life but that fairy tale got mixed up with Snow White and the 8 dwarfs, and again, we all know the end to that story.  But, really, I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that I may really be, just a tad too far right of George Carlin on the cynic scale. 

And, maybe, that is the flaw I need to focus on more than the fact my booty is one (or two) sizes too big.  Maybe in order for me to actually meet my Prince (or at this point in time, Uncle of a Prince), I need to believe it can happen.  My heart was truly broken by Alex and there have been numerous reminders over the past 2 years that it hasn't quite healed.  Maybe instead of scoffing at movies like Eat, Pray, Love and the moral of such stories, I should embrace the idea of happy endings. 

As we know, I am truly content in my life but I know, at some point, it won't be enough.  My two children will grow up and move on to lives of their own and, at then, I will really be the crazy dog lady.  I need to allow myself to believe there is someone out there who will meet my list of qualifications (granted, very long list) who will also think I am all that, extra pounds and all.

So, while don't expect me to start sounding like Elizabeth Hasselback and quote all gushy American Greeting cards but maybe with a little help from Cinderella's Fairy Godmother, I may actually get back to believing in the fairy tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment