Monday, January 31, 2011

It's just dinner!!

I have a great knack for talking myself out of something (or someone) if I have second thoughts. This skill is great for my check book as I can easily talk myself out of a purchase of new shoes, clothes, jelly beans…but not so great for non existent love life! However, I am not allowing myself to ruin what could be a very enjoyable dinner just because I’m becoming too content with my couch, kids and dogs! You know how you feel when you are starving and then you wait too long to eat so you’re not hungry anymore…that is kind of how I am getting to feel about dating. It has been 18 months since I left Alex and I am thinking my figurative stomach is shrinking (too bad my actual stomach is not) and I just am losing interest in the whole meeting someone scene!


But, like I said, mind over matter today! Why today, you might ask…because tonight is dinner with Cute Dad. Yes, I’m actually meeting someone I “found” online. In the whole week I let myself venture into the crazy world of internet dating, as I mentioned, one man did catch my eye. Attractive, has a job, loves his kids, drives a truck, spells correctly, likes sports, did I mention spells correctly…and has made me laugh numerous times with his funny texts and emails. In a moment of sheer insanity, we decided to meet for dinner…on a Monday night. It is truly the only night of the week one of us doesn’t have our kids…not exactly a good sign for future dates…but hey, I’m happy if I get through this one.

Since he lives 70+ miles away, we are meeting sort of half way…well, it is longer for me but that is because closer would have meant a dive truck stop that doubles as a petting zoo. Yeah, pretty sure that doesn’t meet any of my criteria for a suitable dining establishment. So, Chili’s it is tonight…casual atmosphere…with basketball on in the bar in case conversation is stilted. Yes, thought has gone into the evening.

Outfit (oh my gosh, this is killing me…now I have to decide what to wear!!)…consists of black shirt, grey sweater, black leggings, high heeled black boots and fun jewelry… Going to hope for dim lighting as I need to get my roots done but that is so not happening before 7:00 tonight. I’m almost 42, there are gray hairs trying to peek through…but maybe they blend in with my blonde…really, do you now see why I talk myself out of things?!

As much as I enjoy spending time with my kids and my dogs, I don’t really think I want to be alone forever…and while I’m certainly not planning on spending my life with someone I haven’t even met yet, I’m looking at this as a step. A step toward getting back out into the world. A step toward smiling at cute basketball coach more often. A step toward seeing if Hot Electrician wants to go out for drinks. A step toward more time on my exercise bike.

And, while a part of me was worried that going out to dinner with someone new at the same time I was having conversations with Mr. Oklahoma would categorize me as a slut…pretty sure the fact I haven’t had sex in…well, forever…pretty much rules out that title.

Okay, it is going to be fun…and really…it is just dinner!!

2 comments:

  1. TONIGHT!!!??!?!!??! EEEEPPPPP!!!! I am so excited for you. I hope he is as great as he looks! However, if he's a flop, text my cell and I'll call you and you can say something important came up and you have to leave early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle, your comment made me laugh the whole way over...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete