Well, after 3 days of family fun, another wedding, 4 runs of the dishwasher, 5 loads of laundry and lots of trips to the recycling cans with empty wine bottles, I can say it was not a bad weekend after all. There were plenty of moments where I was reaching for anything that even remotely resembled alcohol but didn't need the prescription medication so I call that a win! And, as I sat on my couch last night watching college football I was once again content with my life, which is definitely a good thing!
As the airport is actually quite near Cutie's office, we actually arranged for a quick hi on my way up. It was actually a lot of fun BUT also a very good reminder that he is young...and really, I'm past having to worry about dealing with a guy's immaturity level. While I know older guys can have their Beevis and Butthead moments, I don't need one who is still finding his way through life and all of its emotional roller coasters. With a son about to reach puberty, I will have plenty of that already. However, good kisses are never a bad thing...And since drinking and driving is so frowned upon, it was a good coping mechanism as I braced myself for the East Coast arrivals.
While the appearance of her attention getting neck brace nearly had me turning the car around, she saw me right away and met me with a smile so wide, I was struck with a stab of guilt for ever dreading this visit. But, I was completely exonerated when 5 minutes into the trip she was haranguing my step-father for forgetting some incredibly trivial fact he probably never knew in the first place. As we drove south toward home and a very large glass of wine, I reminded myself reinforcements would arrive in 12 hours! And then, buffers of all kinds could be employed. And, no, I'm not above sacrificing my children for my sanity as she really is much better to them...or because children are more resilient...whatever works!
And really, the weekend went exceptionally well. Having a houseful of people who, for the most part, have known you your entire life and love you anyhow, is pretty incredible. We had 3 generations of several families together, laughing about old times, sharing secrets and remembering why we choose to spend our lives close to one another. That type of history can't be replaced...and it is why we forgive the craziness that accompanies family.
So now, back to life full of kids' sports, work, daily activities...but once again, I really am okay with all of that because it just continues to show me I'm heading in the right direction...even if I do veer away from my GPS instructions every once in a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment