Friday, February 10, 2012

Life According to the Rolling Stones

The Big Chill is in my top 10 movies of all time. Think about it: it is set in the south (and I’ve seen the house in person), it is about a group of college friends who are revisiting feelings and issues from the past (nostalgia at its finest) and the soundtrack completely rocks! I often find myself thinking “You can’t always get what you want, but you get what you need” should be tattooed across my brain. And, really, recently, it is more appropriate than ever.


I certainly can’t complain about my life, which is entirely my point, actually. My children are amazing. My salary gets me by. My friends and family are there for me at a drop of a hat. And, my life is incredibly full. But, even so, there are still times I really do want just a little more. And, that is when I realize I may not get what I want, but I get what I need.

What I wanted was Alex to miss me terribly, call and let me be the one to say “sorry, too little too late”. What I needed was someone to remind me he has no effect on my life any more and that I did make the right choice to walk away. What I wanted was for the Hot Electrician to come to my Super Bowl party. What I needed was to have an incredibly enjoyable afternoon with great friends and family and to receive a few fun texts from him over the next few days. What I wanted was to feel something more for Tony Soprano or for him to have been more of what I was looking for. What I needed was to just get my flirty fix with a great guy (who meets most of my criteria) in VA who thinks my sass and personality make me “the complete package”.

Garth Brooks sings it much more eloquently (and without drug references) in his song “Unanswered Prayers” but the sentiment is still the same…there is a reason why we end up with our without certain people in our lives. And, we do end up with what we need. And, for me, right now, I guess I need to just continue to live my life one day at a time, with no qualms about the fact I don’t have a + one yet…even though I will be 43 on Sunday. I need to focus on the fact I do have choices and that I am not alone in this world.

And really, one day, I will be thanking God for all of my unanswered prayers…and I will be surrounded by what I truly need.

No comments:

Post a Comment