Friday, August 19, 2011

Who needs the Kardashians?

As someone who doesn't watch the show it is very easy for me to be baffled by the allure.  I can not figure out what exactly is so enthralling about a family of wanna be celebrities whose lives often seem like narrowly avoided train crashes.  However, I was reminded one night during our trip that you don't have to be the offspring of OJ's attorney to have drama that could be fodder for TMZ.  So, maybe that is why I don't watch the shows...I just live them.  (well, not nearly that exciting but hey, considering I found a dead mouse in my washing machine tonight, I consider anything that doesn't involve floating rodents a plus).

One of the incredible blessings in my life is the foundation of amazing friends who look out for and care about me...the ones who are with me for my crazy adventures, the ones who understand my eye rolls and catty texts about my former husband and Amazon GF and the ones who have known and loved me since I was 13 years old and just want me to be happy...especially if that means my happiness finds me living south of the Mason Dixon line.  For months now my bff and I have been exchanging goofy messages that could have been written at the beginning of our friendship for the silliness they included.  The poor unwitting subject of these messages being the newly separated father of one of her daughter's best friends.  And, really, on paper (and in pictures) he is perfect...definitely fits more of "The List's" characteristics than Mr. Jersey Shore.  However, small problem...he has no idea who I am nor is he anywhere near being ready to move on.

But, let's not let those minor details mar what otherwise is a flawless plan...yeah, this plan is so full of holes it could be Swiss Cheese but again, why sweat the small stuff.  So, we forged on and told G.I. Joe that I was going to be in town and that he should swing by for a quick hi...incredibly low key, casual and no pressure.  This seemed like a brilliant idea when it was just going to be a few of us (including his kids who would be there).  Well, by the time the poor guy showed up, so had 10+ members of extended family and friends.  I guess I should mention that the not quite yet ex wife of G.I.Joe is now secretly dating my bff's brother-in-law so when I saw the house was full of family, it was really full of the enemy in his mind.  Of course, none of this was the fault of anyone in the room but it certainly didn't set the stage for the meeting of the eyes and chemistry click movies are made of.

Granted, no one expected a love match...or even a date but the thought he might like a friend who understands his plight definitely crossed our minds.  A friend, who happened to be cute, around his age, who he might eventually decide was the woman of his dreams...wait, did I write that?  I meant just someone he could talk to!  But, as it turns out, I think the only thing on his mind that night was how to extricate himself from the situation as quickly as etiquette would allow.  And, really, who could blame him?  The unintentional mentions of the aforementioned brother-in-law were even making my bff and I look at each other with complete WTF expressions.  Could this get any more awkward?! 

Needless to say, no digits were exchanged that night...but don't worry, I did not despair.  If the experiences of the past 2 years have taught me nothing else, I have learned to just live the life I have been given at that moment.  That isn't saying I don't want more at some point but yearning for something isn't going to make it so.  What I can do is continue to open myself up to new experiences and see where it leads.  If I don't, I may miss out on the story of a lifetime. 

3 comments:

  1. It was so good to see you! I must say, you and GI Joe would have made a cute couple,for sure! He is such a cutie! The night really didn't end up being very condusive for a love connection. Your BFF's house ends up being command central a lot of the time! She handles it with such grace, unlike her big sister who has to have "a plan"! I want to be like her when I grow up! There is always next time for that connection...maybe he will be READY then!
    Glad you got back home safely...love your kids!
    TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to see you...and love your family. The kids are now big fans of your husband. :-)

    It was a great night and I loved seeing EVERYONE. I will be back next year (hopefully a couple of times) so who knows. I am really trying to live this whole life day by day thing. I will need a few reminders from you guys though from time to time.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know if I had my way I would've had three good looking eligible bachelors at my house for you to play the dating game; however, living in a small town county most of the guys are "Mr. Redneck" instead of "Mr. GQ".

    I still think Mr. GI Joe is no where near ready for a relationship. I believe that it will take a very persuasive female to get to him any time soon or a weak moment on his part...

    I wish things had turned out different during your visit. I think longtime bff's husband just wanted command central to be fill and wanted to give others the opportunity to see you.

    Love you and TT bunches!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete