Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the Wall...

So, I have a problem.  Maybe problem is overstating it just a tad as it isn't really the kind that requires professional help this time but a problem nonetheless.  I am convinced someone has replaced every mirror in my house with the kind you find at the circus.  You know the ones...they distort your shape and make you either incredibly tall and think like Olive Oyl or short and squat like an Oompa Loompa.  Well, none of mine are the Olive Oyl variety so I, undoubtedly, have been very unhappy with the prankster who thought these mirrors would be a good idea.  I'm already vertically challenged so don't have the height thing going for me on a good day. (Not 8th dwarf sized but also not giving Cindy Crawford a run for her money) But now, the Oompa Loompa syndrome is really not making me smile.

About a year ago, the perfect storm of incidents conspired to make me about 2 sizes too large for my taste.  I'm by no means a contender for the Biggest Loser but, unfortunately think my size 6's may never see the light of day again.  I used to read about how hard it was to lose weight after the age of 40 but I figured 40 was just a generality and really, they were talking about 45 and up, right?  Now, why I thought they wouldn't just write 45 if they meant 45 probably plays into my current weight situation but hey, this is my blog so just read and enjoy with me, please.  Anyhow, as you already know, I turned 40 last February, in the midst of my midlife crisis...wait, not my crisis, it was Alex's crisis...so, since I can not eat when I am stressed, actually lost weight at 40 instead of gaining it.  Well, fast forward 12 months and I am now the ripe old age of 41, content with my life, and now on the eve of thinking I may eventually want to attract a member of the opposite sex, and 15 pounds heavier than what I'd call attractive.  Why is it I can't be stressed now when I really want to lose weight?  Not that I don't have things to stress about but they just aren't the kill my appetite and make me look thin kind of stresses, I guess.

Supportive friends keep telling me that men like a little 'junk in the trunk' and I'm sure they do.  However, my trunk has enough junk for me and at least a friend or two.  I'm pretty sure that qualifies as an extended cab kind of deal.  So, I've reentered the work out world.  I bought a stationery bike for my bedroom, and have actually used it as more than a clothes rack.  I've started limiting my snacks to things that actually grow on trees and am somewhat limiting my expanded definition of wine as a fruit. But, I refuse to go overboard and become obsessed with the entire weight loss kick.  I like food.  I like wine.  I like food and wine together and don't plan on changing that too much.  Instead I'm looking at it from two angles...a way to not overdo my budget as who really wants to blow a wad of cash on "fat clothes" and a way to completely get lost in trash television and not feel guilty about it.  Something about watching DVR'd episodes of As the World Turns and Sex and the City while riding miles to nowhere seems to not seem as pointless. 

I've set a goal of September when I'm hoping to fly back to VA for a quick visit down memory lane to fit back into at least my size 8's.  It is hard to plan an ego boosting trip if your booty still needs boosting. Several weeks of the goings on of Carrie and the girls should definitely motivate me as I pedal away toward my new goal...for my butt to stop moving when I do.  That shouldn't be too hard...right?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog! I hate to tell you but the further you get into your 40's, the harder it is to get that weight off! Having just officially turned, "mid-forties", I can speak from experience. When people talk about muffint top I say that I have a whole bundt cake! Hang in there! Keep on blogging. I makes me smile...a LOT!

    ReplyDelete