My sister and I have decided I need to be on this show...no, I don't sing, or dance, or even throw knives (which by the way, is a very scary talent...!)...but I have a talent, or an uncanny knack, I guess, to pick an electrician out of a crowd. Alright, I am sure you are wondering first, how I can call that a skill or a knack or, well, anything; and two, why would this be important at all?? Very good questions I might add (well, considering I asked them myself, they should be!).
Anyhow, let me explain...I have a dear friend who, like many of us, has probably watched one too many episodes of Dr. Phil or Oprah and was sharing with me recently the trouble women get themselves into by thinking they have a "type". She learned there really is no such thing as a type of man you are attracted to but by believing it is so, set ourselves up to repeat mistakes, not find love in unusual places and/or be destined to be alone...all very uplifting thoughts mind you. No wonder the commercials during these shows are for anti-depressant medication and Hostess cupcakes. Well, while I appreciate the sentiment, and probably can find validity in its claim, I do have a type...and he almost always is wearing jeans, a t-shirt, work boots and a tool belt.
It has actually become comical...but there really is a pattern. Alex is an electrician (big shocker!) and he and I used to joke about my attraction to that occupation...especially since I did have a very brief interest in another electrician right before Alex and I started dating. He knew that the "work outfit" was much more of a turn on for me than anything else he wore...I'm sure this has something to do with me growing up in the South but hey, like my love of Jack Daniels, it just is what it is.
So, since my escape from Casa de Crazy last year, I have truly begun to notice this weird obsession...I caught up with a "boyfriend" (c'mon we were 13, boyfriend seems a little strong) from middle school who became an electrical contractor, the brother of the friend (who I really do think is aDORable, btw...he just needs to think the same thing about me) owns an electrical company in town, and just the other day I noticed this incredibly attractive man leaving Sports Clips while I was waiting for my son...of course I watched him walk out...straight into a truck sporting the logo of another local electrical contracting outfit. Seriously!!
While I will admit not all of the cuties I have found attractive carry the all important electrician tools, there have been quite a few. Once again I would probably make a great case study for some psychologist out there trying to prove a point but for now, will just be happy to tell Oprah, Dr. Phil or anyone that yes, I have a type and hey, if I play my cards right, won't ever have to change a light bulb again.
No comments:
Post a Comment