...how can I help you? No, I'm not really a doctor, but I play one in real life. For whatever reason, people just tell me stuff. And, by people, I mean all people...not just friends or relatives. And, usually, I really don't mind. If I have a look that says "Please tell me your deepest, darkest secrets...I can help" then I guess it is actually a duty of mine to do what I can.
Like I said, for the most part, it is a random conversation, let's say, at Target (the Disneyland for moms) as I am going through the checkout line...
Cashier: "Oh, what a cute baby outfit"
Me: "Thanks...it is for a friend's baby shower" (very innocent so far)
Cashier: "My daughter can't have children naturally so we're looking into adoption for her. But, her husband is a jerk...I think he may even be abusive. I would know because I had to leave my husband in the middle of the night when my daughter was a baby...." Now this went on for several more minutes...yes, I had purchased quite a bit at Target the other day. And, while I felt for this woman and her story, I couldn't help but think, what possesses people to just spill their most inner thoughts with complete strangers. But, maybe for some, they don't have a "go to" person...the one who has to listen to you...no matter what.
I was that person for Alex for years and I guess it was a hard habit for him to break because several times during the period of confusion (okay, there are soooo many other things I could call it but I'm trying to be positive here) where he'd come to me with issues about the 8th dwarf. Not kidding!!! We were driving one day when he said "You know, she really can't cook. Now, I know it isn't fair to compare her to you because you are a great cook (of course I am!!!) but I can't even eat her food. Also, she really does complain a lot." Okay, now before you all start wondering how to commit me for staying as long as I did, please remember I did finally leave...but for those 6 months, I really did think I was supposed to stay and help him through his mid life crisis...bad food and all. These conversations went on quite often...."She really doesn't like our friendship. What should I do?' "Oh, um, tell her life is rough and get over it." or "I really don't want to be with her, but now I've made such a mess." Who talks to their live in girlfriend about their mistress like this? But again, I have that kind of face...the "tell it all to me" face.
From friends who have no trouble saying "Oh, I had the best sex ever last night...let me tell you what he did." (Thanks, but no) to the acquaintances who want to talk to me about their child's drug problem, I have heard it all. Maybe it is more than the open face...maybe they know I have experienced quite a bit in my life and still have a smile on my face. I guess I should tell them I have a lot of wine! But, seriously, if my crazy stories can help people share their worries, then I guess it is all for the best. And, I also know, for every weird thing I have lived with, someone else has lived with 10x worse. My stories are comical, not tragic.
So, if you see me at Target or downtown, or anywhere and feel the need to do a brain dump, feel free, I am even cheaper than Peanut's Lucy with her $.05 advice jar. I just require a smile and the permission to at least shake my head as I walk away.
Brain dump! LMAO
ReplyDeleteThis is too funny! I can totally relate! Being in healthcare we are frequently subjected to TMI!
ReplyDeleteI seem to get in these predicaments more than most people in my dept. Maybe it's a Mathews curse! Ha!
It truly is comedic...and I imagine you hear even more than me. And, while I am sure you don't appreciate it, I am perfectly happy letting you truly be Dr. Phylis. :-)
ReplyDelete