Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Gay Old Time...

All women need certain accessories...killer shoes, stylish purse, classy sunglasses...and then an incredible gay friend to comment on or compliment those accessories.  Last night I attended the annual summer extravaganza to celebrate this fabulous friend, confidante and Martha Stewart extraordinaire.  The food was amazing, the decor gorgeous and the dishing...to die for.

Step one, of course, though, was what to wear...A little different this time as I had a one year old's birthday party barbecue to attend first.  So...had to pick something that was fun, yet not too much, but still with a little dramatic effect.  Oh, did I forget to mention, it was 100 flippin degrees outside so as little clothing as one could get away with was also in order. I settled for sundress with bling...that works. I did, however, forgo the high heels which I just couldn't justify at a party with a jump house.

After managing to avoid too many sticky fingers or cake covered kisses, I left my children at party 1 and headed a few blocks down to party 2.  While only a literal mile separated the houses, figuratively we were talking worlds away as I entered the patio paradise of the oolala celebration...complete with tiki torches, flowing champagne and both women and men dressed to kill (or impress is more like it). I felt an immediate sense of peace overtake me, with the help of a glass of amazing sangria, and began to catch up with old friends under the stars (both real and man made). 

As I listened to stories of new love, new heartbreak and old problems, I was reminded an entire world of issues lived outside my home of peace and contentment. The well timed reminder helped me realize once again how, even though, I am still contemplating buying the voodoo doll set that looks like Alex and the 8th dwarf, I am really much happier without all the high school-esque drama.... my former husband and the gf who have broken up and gotten back together more times than the Eagles (yes, they were at the party too...in coordinated leopard/jungle print attire - not kidding!!) or the friend whose boyfriend decided he needed to go back to his wife and kids are really more than I want or need to handle at this point...or ever.

However, I also looked around and saw evidence of true happiness...so I know it isn't just a figment of my imagination or content for Jennifer Aniston movies...the adorable friend who fell in love after being married for years to a man who just couldn't quite ever get his life in order, another friend who thought love had passed her by when she hit 35 until she met the most amazing man and now they have 2 beautiful children together, or even my incredible friend who we were celebrating that night...he is in love, they have a gorgeous home, and a houseful of friends who not only come by to eat their food and drink their wine...but also would be there for them at a moment's notice. 

I am happy with my slow steps toward the future...and know that while the chapter I thought was the entire book recently ended, I really do have pages of pages of fun, adventures and love ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment