First, I apologize to the throngs of you who follow my every word and phrase (insert chuckle) as I've been off the grid for the past week putting on a community event. While that may seem like an incredibly lame reason for not being able to throw a few hundred words onto a computer screen, I truly was too tired each night to even pour a glass of wine...let alone try to be witty and somewhat philosophical. I was happy I actually was able to differentiate between toothpaste and moisturizer before I hit the bed each night. But, now I am back...and ready to entertain ...or amuse...or at least give you something to read while your nails dry.
While the event I was working on was hard, and tiring, and well, incredibly dirty, it is also my very favorite time of year. It even comes in a little ahead of college football season...which is a tough feat. C'mon, cute sweaters, jeans, Fall air, guys in tight pants...really who doesn't anticipate that like the arrival of Santa? Anyhow, this week is the culmination of months of planning, working with thousands of community members, entertaining over 100,000 people and really, getting an ego boost which makes my day...every day.
We started the week with our annual ladies' night...20 women and margaritas definitely equals cheeks sore from laughing. I love the energy we supply, the knowledge that they loved me almost 15 years ago with fewer wrinkles and definitely fewer pounds and still love me...and have stood by each other through more than one set of ups and downs provides me with a sense of balance I know I can rely on every day. Even if we lose contact for periods throughout the year, come July we are all back together like a sorority reunion.
Energized by the YaYa Sisterhood, I was ready to take on the week...I hadn't lost the 15 pounds I was hoping for so was still fighting with shorts that fit my shelf booty but were at least a size and a half too big in the waist but hey, that is why Gucci makes belts. Haha...like I'd wear Gucci to a dust covered park! But, while I wasn't going to be turning too many heads with my ensemble for the weekend, I know my personality does shine this week. I love to welcome the guests, smile and laugh with the other volunteers, and, okay, walk by the incredibly hot firefighters more than once or twice...an hour...and be reminded that this is where I am supposed to be at this point in my life. Alex is the one who missed out on quite the catch...not me! (And, as a quick side note...saw a recent picture of the two of them at a wedding...yikes...she really is the 8th dwarf and, well, he doesn't look nearly as hot as I thought before...I think I'm moving on!!)
While the end of the weekend is always like the last night at summer camp with a bunch of tears and sad smiles, I am still full of an internal warmth and happiness knowing I have found my way back to me...the real me...and hey, there are 51 weeks until next year for those 15 pounds.
No comments:
Post a Comment