Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday night blahs...

When I was younger I used to hate Sunday afternoons...they were always accompanied by this sense of melancholy; even before I knew what that word meant.  And, it wasn't because I was dreading school...I actually loved school...not that I didn't find a time or two in high school to not make it to class.  But that was different; I was a teacher's aide for PE and really, weren't baseball team emergencies much more time sensitive than anything Shakespeare said hundreds of years before?? Well, in my mind they were but this is also why I can never get an English literature question right when we play Trivial Pursuit.  Wait, long tangent there...back to Sundays.

I honestly don't know what it is about a Sunday free of commitments that makes me want to curl up on the couch with a book, a cup of tea and watch movies that are so sickeningly sweet they make your teeth ache...i.e., Sweet Home Alabama, Sleepless in Seattle, Serendipity...you know the ones...the cinematic illustrations of love stories which set your expectations so high nothing short of living those fictitious lives is good enough.  The movies my dad used to rail on for making my sister and I such hopeless romantics...I didn't listen to him during these rants but to this day I have only picked up a National Enquirer once in my life...when I was 7 and waiting for him in a barber shop.  He saw me and flipped out saying no educated daughter of his was going to read that garbage.  Jeesh...no wonder I've spent more on therapy than I have on shoes in my lifetime.  And, really, shoes would have probably been a better investment.

Really, I think it is the image of Sunday family dinners I have, coupled with family back yard football games that brings on a sense of nostalgia for days gone by...or never even existed, maybe.  Or, it could be something as simple as my Sundays are usually full of basketball or football games, that I don't really know what to do when I actually have an afternoon to myself. Maybe that is what I need to work on correcting...and actually there is plenty I could have done...for work, around the house, for a local election I am participating in...but didn't.  I gave myself the afternoon to nap, read and now, feel pooky about it.  That ends now...on this Sunday!

My life is incredibly full...and I like it that way.  So, I am now decreeing Sundays as days full of purpose, initiative, accomplishments...days which involve exercise, laundry, chores...Well...not this Sunday...but maybe next.

No comments:

Post a Comment