Back when we were forced to watch commercials (in the not to be thought of without shuddering, pre-DVR days), I remember being completely amused by the "Don't mess with Mother Nature" spots...although, I can't for the life of me, remember which margarine company it was for... The idea of some supreme being wreaking havoc on the world over a butter substitute just made me laugh. However, today, I'm not laughing and I'm not sure if it is Mother Nature, God or some other heavenly creature, who is wreaking havoc on my skin. And, really, it just doesn't seem fair that my wrinkles have pimples!
As I went through my nightly ritual before going to bed, I had a complete conversation with myself (hey, it is better than talking to the dog) over the various products I put on my face...we have the facial mask to clear you skin of blemishes AND old aging cells, the anti-bacterial toner, the face tightening salve and then the all important moisturizer. I would have thought by the time I hit my 40's my body would have figured out its age...not be stuck in some sort of adolescent meet middle age kind of purgatory. But really, doesn't that kind of match the feelings I have been having lately.
Aren't I conflicted between being able to make it on my own, and being very proud of myself, and the thought/desire to have someone in my life to share it with? Didn't I just spend the better part of a week (holy cow!) wondering why I didn't hear from Cutie? While at the same time, focusing on my job, my home, my vegetables in the back yard? Welcome to 16 meets me! And, that is probably my biggest complaint right now...the butterflies in the stomach are one thing...a very welcome reminder that I haven't lost the ability to be attracted to someone else...but the mood swings and emotional roller coaster is something I thought I left when I retired the pom poms and saddle shoes.
Considering these are issues that will need more than one cup of coffee to resolve, I am going to chalk up the ups and downs and the facial explosions to just another lovely side effect of hormones...well, I have to do that considering I also justified inhaling cheese, crackers and a piece of chocolate as the result of carb cravings. For now, I'll continue to trick my face into thinking it isn't having a midlife crisis and just pour another cup of coffee.
No comments:
Post a Comment