While the annoyingly catchy GoGo's 80's tune is what is going through my head as I write this, I have to admit the start of the week seemed less cutesy and more Ozzy Osbourne'ish. But, hey, it's Monday...what are you gonna do?
So, I get up this morning (after hitting the snooze button a modest 2 times) and actually don't mind getting on the exercise bike. After 20 minutes of pedaling to the antics of my favorite Sex and the City gals, I hop off and am ready to shower and start my week. Unfortunately the hot water heater had other plans as there was no hot water to be found. This has happened once before and my very friendly father-in-law fixed it and showed my 11 year old son how to restart the pilot light. Of course, neither were there this morning so it was me in a towel and my ever so helpful pup who ventured into the garage to show the water heater who was boss. 15 minutes of reading instructions, trying to follow the pictures and praying I didn't blow up the house and I went back inside to take a cold shower...obviously being shown that I was, by no means, the Boss!
Still shivering from my dip into the Arctic waters of my shower (yes, I'm exaggerating just a tad but it was 6:30 in the morning and the shower was cold!) I went outside to water the plants and count how many tomatoes have actually turned red this year (current count is about 6). The first thing I notice, however, are the mounds of dirt dotting the backyard like little bunkers for the toy soldiers my son used to play with. Knowing it is the fine work of the gopher who has been tormenting me for weeks just adds to the morning fun.
I've known I had a gopher (or a full gopher army) for a few months...ever since I saw one lumbering across my patio one night...sending both me and the dog into conniptions for a bit. Of course, since my dog is completely neurotic and is actually scared of a wooden horse at my in-laws, knew he was going to be no help. My landlord was kind enough to show me how to use this silver trap contraption but with the instructions the trap doesn't always kill the gopher so be ready to hit it over the head with a shovel. Excuse me?!? While I am, by no means, a fan of the gopher, and was always rooting for Bill Murray in Caddyshack, actually smashing one in the head was an entirely different story. But today, I was mad and figured it would be like that Whack-a-mole game that my kids like to play at the arcade.
So, off I went in search of that magic trap. After moving pots and dirt and all kinds of garden equipment I was sure I needed to live in the country, I found it...all the while mumbling about not being outsmarted by some over sized rodent with a weight problem. Once again, spoke too soon as I could not for the life of me, figure out how to set the stupid trap. Considering it had two sharp spikes on one end, and a spring mechanism on the other, I figured puncturing myself would not have added to my morning...especially considering I had no hot water to ward off infection... Throwing down the trap in disgust, because I absolutely hate not being smarter than a piece of metal, I vowed to clear out Orchard Supply of every bomb, trap, poison they had as that gopher was not getting the best of me!
While the morning definitely does not lead me to believe this week is going to be full of sunshine and roses, I am energized and ready to take on the world...just don't ask me to set a trap to make it happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment