I was reminded again recently that karma really has a way of amusing those who get to see it in action. Although I will admit, it is much funnier to watch someone "get what's coming to them" vs. someone being rewarded for their good deeds. I'm a big believer in karma and think quite often about my actions...well, not just because I don't want to spend eternity having to listen to Rod Stewart & the Greg Kihn band as my penance but hey, let's just say karma plays into my thought process and every once in a while it really does make me laugh.
It was time for my incredibly cute but high maintenance and overly neurotic dog to be groomed. I'm not exaggerating about the neurosis associated with my 4 legged heart throb as he really is a mess. As the runt of the litter he was completely terrorized and to this day will shake if anyone new tries to pet him, hold him, or really even look at him. He spends his time under my legs or on top of me as close as he can get. While at times his behavior is a little embarrassing (hello, he whimpers at a wooden horse) I will admit I don't mind having a complete Mama's boy. And, as my dad points out, he completely fits with our family...even my 11 year old son comments about how "special" I am. Then again, I am the carbon copy of my father, and my son a mini-me so really, they have no room to speak. Actually, my dad's dog is worse as he has been diagnosed (yes, diagnosed) with separation anxiety so is on medication. Don't judge, people!
Anyhow, a few friends kept raving about this grooming shop in town where they completely know and love all kinds of animals. After taking my little guy to PetSmart several times, I thought I'd give this Dog Whisperer a chance. I made my appointment and was quizzed over the phone about whether or not he was aggressive, had his shots, etc... I explained to the very nice woman on the phone the personality of Dog Wonder but assured her, he is incredibly sweet. We arrived and I went through the drill with the woman at the counter and immediately warned her not to pick him up right away as, well, he poops when he is scared...truly an example of "scared sh**less". She looked at me funny and asked if I socialize him enough. "Does he have other dog friends? Have you taken him to experience new environments? Has he seen a counselor?" Not kidding!! I, again, went through his life story and reiterated he is just skittish and if you just walk him back on his leash, he'll be fine. Well, obviously, as the owner of crazy dog, I was not to be trusted, nor did I know a thing. She reached down over the counter and picked up my very shaky, very nervous, very predictable pup and of course yelled "Oh my gosh, he's pooping!!!" I could barely contain my laughter as I walked out the door, thinking to myself, socialize that, honey!
It truly was a hysterical illustration of karma and one that made me think of another example I'd witnessed not too long ago. About 3 weeks after I moved out of the home Alex and I shared, he went on a long planned 10 day scuba diving trip to some island in the middle of nowhere with #8 (yes, again, I know, he would have gone on this trip with his mistress even if I hadn't moved out so why did it take me so long...details). I had a knot in my stomach every time I thought about it (which I admit, was quite often) and even went as far to check the weather forecasts for Tropical Island Whatever Paradise for the days they'd be there. I was not so secretly tickled that it called for rain and wind most of the time (I'm not proud of my glee, but I admit to it) but then just made myself sicker by thinking they then couldn't leave the hotel room...again, remember, this was 3 weeks after I had left the love of my life...I'm allowed a few moments of self torture. But I guess karma was actually on my side as I soon found out....
At drinks with mutual friends one of them asked if I had heard about Alex... Now, I didn't want anything to happen to him...ever...but this sounded interesting. Well, it turned out he had gotten sick on the 20 hour plane ride and was actually in a hospital for at least 1/2 of their trip and pretty much out of commission for the remainder of it. As I was still madly in love with him, at the time, I definitely didn't like the sounds of that until I heard he was okay but then I did get a little internal smile when I heard #8 definitely did not enjoy her first romantic vacation with the man she thought she had won. My sister couldn't help but think this was truly karma at work...Alex was uncomfortable, thousands of dollars had been spent and #8 missed out on a tan of any kind. Yeah, again, not proud of my petty side but hey, I get a little leeway here, right?
So, next time you are contemplating a decision...really do ponder on whether or not you want to risk being pooped on...just a thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment