Tuesday, June 28, 2011

If it is good enough for the AARP it is good enough for me...

On my 35th birthday (just a few years ago), I received a letter announcing in big bold letters that in 15 years I'd be eligible for all kinds of discounts as an AARP member.  I was floored...AARP?  Wasn't that for old people?  I mean, I celebrated my 35th by getting my belly button pierced (granted, my 35th year was all kinds of transition period) so there was no way I was even thinking about being 50!  But fast forward a few years, one divorce and one major emotional breakup and 50 isn't looking too bad anymore.  Not me turning 50!  No, that still is a LONG way off, but I have been rethinking the 50 year old man as a possibility. 

Think about it, a 50 year old man should be done with his mid life breakdown and either has the Porsche as his weekend car or sold it all together for the much more comfortable Escalade or Mercedes sedan (yes, my 50 year old is financially comfortable).  He has been through his divorce and has been able to make it on his own.  He either has teen agers or started early and has young adult children but is still youthful enough to appreciate my little angels.  And, probably most importantly, I'm still looking like a young (well, younger) hottie (okay, cutie) to him.  According to my new favorite colleague at work (she's always been amazing but with this comment, to the top of the list...haha), I'm a good looking 42...so really, shouldn't that mean to a 50 year old man, I am a total catch?!

I'm constantly concerned that my legs aren't firm enough, my arms aren't toned enough, my stomach and booty certainly not small enough to compete with the 35 year olds out there so maybe I need to increase my bottom and top age limits on my list.  The 35 year old guys are looking at the 29 year old girls, the 40 year old men checking out the young 30 yr old women so really, I do think the sliding scale may need to slide just a bit. 

Granted, I did come to this realization in a somewhat biased situation.  I was checking out (hey, I'm honest) the men after our annual golf tournament yesterday as they enjoyed a 19th hole beverage or two and really, guys just look good in golf wear.  The shorts, polo and baseball hat, topped off with sun kissed skin and the smile that comes with a day on the golf course just combines to make a nice package.  So, in a room full of well off,  financially secure, tanned golfing guys, I probably was going to find one or two pretty attractive older men. Of course, those men also had the gold ring on their left hand so no go there.  But, it did get me to thinking, maybe 50 is a golden year for a reason. 

So, next time I get my reminder for the upcoming AARP specials, I may just check out their singles options.  Hey...it couldn't hurt.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should keep those as options. I work with several MD's who i have known for MANY years. I think a couple of them look much better now at 60 than they did at 40. I like the "silver fox" thing! As you said, they are more mature, laid back and just comfortable with themselves. I say go for it! My husband will be 50 in December and he is still way more active than me!
    By the way, you ARE a writer, and a damn good one! I wish I had a way with words like you do. There I go again, wanting something I don't have...Love ya!
    TT

    ReplyDelete