Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pause for a Commercial Break

Yes, we've established my life isn't all that bad...I have a good job, my kids are pretty darned amazing, my hairdresser works hard to cover the gray that is sneaking (okay, jumping through) my roots, and I live in CA (not Huntington Beach, CA but the Golden State, nonetheless), so really, why am I pausing that incredible life for a complaint commercial?  The answer is simple...I went to Santana Row for lunch! 

Okay, for those of you not familiar with the Silicon Valley Bay Area, Santana Row is the shopping center/restaurant Mecca of the Beautiful People.  It is Northern CA's answer to Rodeo Drive...just without the Hollywood stars.  Granted, at lunchtime on a Tuesday there are plenty of "normal" people as well, but more often than not, there is a large contingent of the lounging pretty people.  I'm not exactly sure what they do for a living that allows them to spend hours just sitting by the fountain waiting for the world to notice them.  They aren't reading or working frantically on their iPad...no they are just enjoying the sunshine and a no fat, no sugar, no nothing iced something from Starbucks...while the rest of us pretend to live a life of leisure between meetings and work at the office.

Yes, believe me, I know I would be bored if I didn't have a full life...but, at this point in time, I'm pretty sure I could find a way to occupy my hours that didn't involve sitting in an office.  I could write more for you guys...obviously that is a very lucrative profession.  I'm not pining for a millionaire to sweep me off my feet (while of course I wouldn't turn that down...) as I know the chances of that are slim, but really, how do these people exist?  Obviously I wasn't smart enough to marry a rich guy the first time around so I could be a wealthy divorcee, and we know the exodus from Alex's life cost me money so that certainly didn't help matters.  So, I don't see me joining the ranks of the Relaxing (non-eating...hello, they weigh like 50 pounds!) Row-ers any time soon.

Again, this is just a small break from my normal disgustingly cheerful self to wonder what class I missed in school that would have led to that lifestyle.  Now, of course I know I could fix these moments of envy by just not going to Santana Row but then, what is the fun in that?!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back! I decided to come over for a visit and found several new posts I had missed! I have missed you!! You are entertaining, as usual. I do envy your CA lifestyle at times but I am also smart enough to know that the grass is not always greener. You know how us women are. We always want want we don't have--straighter hair, bigger boobs, flatter stomach, more money...the list goes on and on. Hang in there chicky, things are going to work out for you just like they are supposed too.
    TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you came back! I forgot how much I love to write...and well, really, I can't actually call myself a writer if I don't write! Minor details.

    I do know how fortunate I have it...especially with you and your sister in my life. And yes, someone, somewhere always has more. But, I wouldn't trade a thing in my life to get that.

    Thanks for being there with me on my journey.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete