I was commenting to a very wise woman the other day that this is not where I expected to be at this point in my life...42 years old, single mother of 2, with a relatively non-existent savings account and she pointed out that really, many people look at my day to day activities and wish they were me. I stopped to think and realized of course she was right. Her pearls of wisdom didn't magically make my bank account grow or for my version of Jake Perry from "Sweet Home Alabama" show up on my doorstep but it did make me, again, grateful for the life I am leading.
Of course, I do have to throw in the caveat that the wise woman referenced above happened to be Alex's mom who I spent a very enjoyable evening/day with at a local county fair. I mean, who doesn't spend the day rocking out to soul music with the mom of their ex. Hello, this is the 21st century and it is what we do! Actually, it is very special to me that I did not lose that family when my relationship with Alex took a major detour. If you have read this blog at all over the past year, you know I don't like to lose people and need to be liked...it is double when it comes to those involved in my relationships. Yes, I realize I'm a great case for therapy...and have sat on many a couch.
Anyhow, she and I, along with a high school friend of hers, danced, sang and kicked off a non stop weekend for me. After that adventure I volunteered at the snack shack for a high school dance for our local basketball program. Oh my gosh....thank goodness I am one, not in high school anymore and, two, that neither of my kids are yet. That place was crazy...since when did Victoria's Secret type bras become appropriate dance wear for the under 18 set? Did their mothers see them leave the house like that?! Yikes! I came home feeling very old but happy that dating for me didn't involve ear blasting pump music and string bikinis.
I then made myself get cuted up for a Saturday afternoon BBQ with friends and a solo appearance at a local theater company owned by my dear friends. Going stag to events is not my favorite activity as I'd much rather have a +one but I also refuse to stop living my life because I am not sharing my queen size bed with males that don't have 4 legs and fur. I also know that whoever I do meet is going to need to fit into the life I have made for myself because I really kind of like it.
So, again, chalk one up for steps toward improvement. I would have loved to have been spending this Father's Day weekend with my dad or celebrating the fatherhood traits of someone I am with, but I also didn't sit home, mope and eat a bag of jelly beans. Yes, I guess my life is one that other's wouldn't mind having.
No comments:
Post a Comment