Monday, June 7, 2010

What is a year?

365 days is the answer you learn in school but at times it seems like so much more or less. 2 seasons of Survivor, The Biggest Loser, Amazing Race...10 pounds up and 10 pounds down...Christmas, 4th of July, birthdays....all of these take place in those 12 months. For me, an incredible journey took place and one which I am really just starting to understand.

After my marriage ended, a friend and I realized we were actually very good together and I fell in love, really hard and, if I'm being honest, probably in true love for the very first time. This blog isn't meant to be melodramatic...as I am just not a "drama mama" so the quick recap is...fell in love to be forever, but his issues with fidelity seemed to be insurmountable so after 4 years, thousands of tears and once again, several hundreds of dollars of therapy later, I organized a stealth "how fast can I move out" weekend. As my stepmother put it, it was like a reality show...what can you do in 8 hours?

As he really didn't want me to leave and got incredibly upset when I tried to talk about it, I didn't tell him I was moving. He went off for the weekend to teach a class and the troops descended. Looking back on it now, between the bouts of tears and hysteria, there were funny moments. And, ending the weekend with my sister, children and father at the nicest hotel in town drinking champagne in our suite seemed to say everything was going to be ok.

Well, that weekend was a year ago...and I am stronger, more relaxed and content with my life. Not sure I will find another love like that but for now my kids, my dog and my sanity (okay, debatable) are good for me.

Next blog will be back to the ridiculousness that is my life but I felt the need to mark this anniversary with a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment