Any woman over the age of 30 knows the scene (it is almost as popular as the fake orgasm...almost!). Harry & Sally are sitting in a dive cafe and Harry is calling Sally on her, well, highly tuned sense of needs...
Harry: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally: Which one am I?
Harry: You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance but think you are low maintenance.
Sally: I don't see that.
Harry: You don't see that? Waiter, I'll begin with a house salad but I don't want the regular dressing. I'll have the balsamic vinegar and oil, but on the side. And then the salmon, with the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side. "On the side" is very big thing for you.
Sally: Well, I just want it the way I want it.
Harry: I know; high maintenance.
I long ago acknowledged, owned and eventually embraced my high maintenance tendencies. It makes for challenging adventures trying to fill those needs at times but why settle for just ok when you know what you really want? I'm not talking about men, but I guess that would fit as well. No, I'm talking pretty basic needs: I want Diet Coke, not Diet Pepsi and if no Diet Coke, I'll get iced tea. I want real cheddar cheese not imitation American cheese stuff. Absolutely no soggy bread of any kind on anything...ok...you get the idea. However, probably where I draw the line in the sand is Starbucks...it must be the real thing!
As I was on my little adventure this past week, I woke up, went for a run (ok, walk but who's timing?) and then strolled into the historic downtown area to reward my efforts with a much needed caffeine fix in the comforting green and white cup. As this was a CA coastal town, in 2010, I felt confident there would be the tell-tale green awning on several corners. So, off I trekked, enjoying the early morning air and taking in the quaintness of a town trying to find its place in the new Southern CA world of the OC and Real Housewives. I saw a couple a few blocks up enjoying what looked like 2 cups of the coffee I so desired so headed in their direction. Block after block I walked with no success. I asked a woman on the street for assistance but she had just started her job and didn't know the area. I was getting a tad concerned but knew I had seen the signs so just needed to keep searching. I encountered another woman, looked about my age, dressed in the Northern CA cardio mom outfit of matching yoga pants, sweatshirt with baseball cap and high pony. I had the same outfit so figured we spoke the same coffee language...unfortunately I was very wrong. When asked if she knew where the nearest Starbucks was, she looked a little lost and answered "Oh, I don't go there. Try this great place across the street. Their coffee is better AND they are independently owned."
Now, I have nothing against these little coffee roasting clubs that have been able to maintain their existence as I think they serve their clientele. But, that clientele does not include me! Every visit to my mother's house has the same conversation: "Mom, I'm going to Starbucks. Do you want anything." "Honey, why don't you go to the Mountain Mug for coffee. They're going to go out of business if you don't". Really??? Because if my visits to the mountains 4-5 times a year are going to make or break the Mountain Mug's bank, they have bigger problems. I know I'm addicted to Starbucks, and have no trouble believing there is something in those cups that keep me coming back. But, I also believe, if that is my worst vice, I think I'm doing ok.
I just smile at the traitor version of me and thank her for her help. And, then, as if some coffee angel could feel my caffeine headache kicking in, I turned just in time to see a man get into his car with a steaming cup of Starbuck's finest...phew, my needs were going to be met and after getting directions that at least pointed me toward manna, I found home. And, like a weary traveler who kisses the ground upon reaching his destination, I sigh with relief as I order the never changing grande non fat latte. The first sip reminding me that yes, I do have high maintenance tendencies but it is those tendencies which help keep Starbucks, Diet Coke and my therapist in business. And, once again, I am ok with that....
No comments:
Post a Comment