Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It's all about the Bad Boys...

What is it about just the image of a "Bad Boy" that has normally sane, level headed, put together women tossing their Coach purses (okay, putting them away nicely in their special bag covers) to the side and throwing on the jeans, tank tops, hot heels ready to take a walk on the wild side? Now don't shake your head and act like you don't know what I'm talking about.  You know there is at least one man on "your list" that either rides a motorcycle in his leather jacket or has long hair and more than his fair share of tattoos.  He is the guy your mother warned you about (well, not my mother...she warned me about rich Republicans out to destroy the world as we know it...but again, she's different) but the one you still thought was hot.  I know, unfortunately, I have had several of these type of men on my "ooh baby" list.  And, at 42, wouldn't one think I'd have learned my lesson by now?  But, why!  Sometimes bad really can be good.  See, it is that type of justification that gets me into trouble every time.

In the midst of our festival craziness, the same group of friends who seem to be included in most of my more memorable evenings, decided we should go see Kid Rock in concert.  He could be the poster child for today's Bad Boy.  Obviously he is not at all in the classically handsome category by any stretch but for some reason the combination of his hard core lyrics, his kiss my a** attitude and the abs from, oh my gosh, heaven and really you have the stuff suburban housewives (and their divorced friends) dream about.  Granted, I was not as ready to rush the stage as my lemon drop friend (remember her from Whiskey Creek) but my increased heart rate did get me to thinking about why women do this.  Why do we fall for the very ones we shouldn't? I know Barnes & Noble has an entire section devoted to the stupid choices women make but I don't think we need that much space. 

I think it is a physical thing...really!  I look at one of these men with the tough guy attitude and think "yeah, he's going to give me what I need" without ever thinking long term.  You see no holds barred great sex in your future but know there will not be a bouquet of flowers this next day to thank you for the fun.  You'll be sore but satisfied.  And, I guess every once in a while that is not a bad thing.  But unfortunately, we, as women, don't think on such practical terms.  We usually think like the lyrics from my favorite cowboy "I may be a real bad boy but baby I'm a real good man".  It is a song, ladies!  Probably written by a woman! 

I am reminding myself of these facts and trying to apply logic to any choice I make in the near future.  I know I need a man with quite the tough side...but it needs to be balanced as well.  And, until then, I know how to daydream.

1 comment:

  1. I have 2 friends that are very attracted to Kid Rock too. One of them is actually in her mid 50's. I am not even going to write what she said she would like to do with him...
    While I love his music, I just don't see the attraction. I do not judge however because I am strangely attracted to Steven Tyler...go figure!! Read his book recently. It is amazing that he is still alive after the life he has lived for 60+ years!
    TT

    ReplyDelete