Sunday, August 7, 2011

Gone are the days of party line telephone calls

What ever happened to a group of girlfriends sitting around giving advice to one another about love, dating, outfits, etc...? Isn’t that how my blog moniker gained fame anyhow? From classy women who drank Cosmos and dished about their latest escapades while wearing the latest in New York fashion?  When did technology replace the hair salon for all the advice and dirt we need? Granted, this question seems a little ironic coming from someone who writes a blog about her crazy daily escapades but that kind of illustrates my point. In this era of non stop technological advances, advice from all sides has taken on a whole new meaning.

Case in point, as we know, I indulged in a little Jersey Italian fun this past weekend…but that, of course, did not just happen organically. I guess it could have, but it also included tweets, Facebook posts, emails and even some cross continent multi-generational Skyping…not kidding!

As festival weekend is usually pretty insane in my world, I send out a blanket invitation to family that they can stay at my house but don’t expect to see me and a bag of Oreos is probably about the extent of the food they will find…a far stretch from the Southern hospitality they are used to when they visit. However, because my family loves me, they get it and this weekend my aunt, as well as my sister and family were crashed at Casa de Crazy. I guess at some point the discussion turned toward the lack of a male companion in my life so my sister jokingly tasked my 62 year old aunt with “finding me a man”. She took the job seriously and after watching the two of us interact on/off stage texted me with a “he’s hot” message…”let’s do something about that.” Okay, because before she pointed that out through the help of Verizon, I wasn’t so sure the looks, the touches, the “are you married” question was leading anywhere. But, no worries, I don’t care who takes credit as long as it ended with me getting a kiss.

As my aunt was my date for a party that evening that Jersey Shore would be attending, she and I did the mad rush getting ready together. Although, it wasn’t just the two of us as she had been busy Skyping with her boyfriend in Germany. He, too, wanted to get in on the advice action, so had been encouraging her to take her own car…just in case I did get lucky. Pause! Just because the two of you AARP members are busier than the Bud Girls at a Nascar race, it doesn’t mean the rest of us are itching to get busy between the sheets. Well, I was but that is beside the point!

Of course, as it turns out, the two cars could have come in handy but it worked out just fine. I brought my aunt home and ran in the house to do a little freshening up. Of course, that also involved the bi-continental Skype time. As I’m running around, fluffing up the hair, yes, surveying the underwear choice, grabbing a bottle of wine…I’m also getting “Tell her to make sure he’s nice. Is she going to stay at the hotel with him? Why the wine? What kind of guy is he?” Hmm….I don’t know! He seems nice, the wine is because well, I’m 20 pounds overweight, haven’t had a guy see me naked in well, forever, and I need to fortitude and he’s the kind of guy who is hot! Okay, maybe if I’d answered these questions a little more carefully I wouldn’t have written the post I did earlier about needing to have my wires checked. But, that isn’t what I was thinking about each time I passed her laptop, perched on the kitchen counter, with the two of them making googly eyes at one another. Please let me get out of here before they start turning up the heat themselves!  We've all seen "It's Complicated"...sometimes video chats leave waaaay less to the imagination than one needs.

Really, the fact that my family (all of them) care so much about my life means every thing to me. I am content, and not a complete basket case, because of them. Their support has gotten me through quite a bit the last two years and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Just at that moment, when all of my insecurities were competing with the excitement of a new adventure, I just wasn’t sure I was ready for it to go viral. But again, this is me, writing about it, in my blog, so I guess I’ll just go with it…

No comments:

Post a Comment