Sunday, July 24, 2011

A walk on the wild side...

No, don't get excited, I didn't visit the biker bar again!  I am talking about the actual wilderness, far from civilization...or at least 20 minutes away from the closest Starbucks so that counts as off the beaten path for me.  The kids and I went camping!  Yes, actual camping...not just a Motel 6.  And, guess what, we had fun.

Obviously, we did not go alone; I'm adventurous, not crazy!  My sister, brother-in-law and family were camping for the weekend on the lake where they go boating and asked us to join them.  We'd already planned on spending the weekend on the water with them so really, why not? 

Yes, normally, I'd have plenty of reasons why not: it's dirty, you are sleeping in the same area as moles, gophers, lizards, snakes, did I mention dirt, you eat, sleep and relax in the same 30 feet of space, you cook outside and oh yes, there's dirt.  But, the minute I asked my kids if they wanted to go, their faces lit up and their sleeping bags were instantly in the car.  And, again, in this new world of independent living, I am already up for a new adventure.

My sister and I share the same feelings when it comes to living in the dirt...the way we look at it, if God had wanted people to stay so primitive, He'd have never allowed for places like the Four Seasons to be built, or for indoor plumbing to be common place or for homes to have plush carpeting and hard wood floors.  However, spending hours each day on the boat reminded me of how happy I am on the water, and how I know, one day I will be living with a view of a lake and a boat parked at the dock.

We had an amazing weekend of sun, fun and, of course, plenty of Corona and I realized once again that, while I do think I'm ready to meet someone to share in this type of fun (love of camping is not a prerequisite), I am also very content and capable of enjoying life on my own with my amazing kids and wonderful family.  I also confirmed that camping is something I can do but don't need to prove my prowess on a regular basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment