If you have read this blog for any amount of time, you know alcohol is the only recreational drug I know from 1st hand experience (no, prescription medication like Xanax so doesn't count) but have often thought I may be missing out on something by going organic. Well, I thought that until tonight....
I make it a habit, almost a rule, that I do not go out on the weekends I have the kids as I've always felt like I don't get to spend enough time with them as it is so why cut into that time any more. However, I was feeling the need to get the cute on (I'll explain later) so changed my no RSVP to a yes to go to a restaurant/bar in town to hear a local band with a group of great friends. After arranging for a favorite friend to come hang out for a couple of hours I broke out the Vegas purchased white halter style tank top, black pants and high heels thinking that 1/2 the work of feeling good is looking good and off I went.
The band was great, the friends always a blast but my concern over the ability to meet someone who met my novel of requirements increased exponentially...heck, this evening the chances of meeting someone with all his teeth, didn't smoke weed with no mullet was going to be pushing it. Granted, we were listening to a band who played several 80's cover tunes so really the fact many of the patrons (using that term loosely) looked like they still lived in the 80's shouldn't have been surprising. The only thing missing was a contingent of fanny pack wearing, super cool looking Magnum, PI wannabees. Yes, it was that bad. Even the fan behind our table made the hair of my friend and I fly around like we were auditioning for a White Snake video (again, a band covered tonight). I definitely was not meeting any potential dinner partners...unless dinner consisted of magic brownies and a plate of potato skins. Ego boost it wasn't.
My ego isn't broken anyhow, just bruised. I try to avoid being a total chick by saying that I really can do casual with no expectations and I truly can. But that doesn't protect me from the 8th grade girl habit of saying your names together and picturing how much fun you'd have going to the prom (or in the case of a 40+ year old woman, boating)....even before there is even a hint of a first date. Yes, this is the roundabout way of saying I've heard nothing from Hot Electrician. I didn't even get a response to one of my famous breezy but quippy texts that I sent on Friday. Am I really not a catch? And, why is it that I seem to always be attracted to the guys who don't get what I catch I obviously think I am?
I knew this was a possibility when I kissed him...hello, I do remember the days of "Will he or won't he call?" and hated them then! But, really, at age 42 shouldn't I have at least outgrown them or is it like my occasional face break outs, that part of adolescence NEVER goes away? If so, I'm pissed. Clearasil works for the break-outs but what do I do about the school girl crush disappointment? I know...replay the "I Want to Rock and Roll All Night" KISS song that was covered and wonder if that is why my fellow bar goers tonight never left the 80's...everything was better with MTV and a Coke.
No comments:
Post a Comment