I had another one of my life changing and world altering epiphanies last night - the producers of chick flicks are also the makers of anti-depressants. C'mon, it makes sense. You watch a movie about soul wrenching love where the woman not only makes it through incredible heartache but comes out on the other side looking like a million bucks, meets the true man of her dreams and never has to worry about paying another bill again. Really? Because that is what every single mother living on a tight budget knows is just right around the corner. They should actually put up a disclaimer like they do for the common sense impaired during stunt car commercials "Warning: do not try this at home. This is not reality, moron!"
Okay, I'm not that completely cynical nor do I really believe life is supposed to be the way it is portrayed on the big screen. However, as I sat down to watch Eat, Pray, Love I do have to admit to having moments of exasperation thinking how unrealistic this "true" story actually was. Yes, the divorce was painful and yes, her heartbreak was real. But, you find me one "actual" woman who, when going through a divorce, was able to jet off around the world to truly find herself...and, in the meantime find one heck of a hottie soul mate.
Believe me, there are moments...lots of them...where I just want to pack up my kids and move to parts (well not unknown) but far away, nonetheless, where I could just start over. Where I don't have to worry about running into Alex and his 8th dwarf girlfriend...where I can go to my children's games without looking like an oompa loompa next to former husband's Amazon arm candy...where I believe I can be myself and fall in love again...hopefully forever this time. Then, of course, I wake up, do the 4th load of laundry of the day, log onto my work computer to do a few last minute things since I had to leave early to pick the kids up from school...and, if it is one of my really lucky days, the dogs may have destroyed another stuffed animal for me to clean up. No, it is definitely not Bali!
But, before you all start to stage a friend-a-vention, don't worry, I haven't taken to sitting in front of the Lifetime channel with a quart of Ben & Jerry's, only pausing to refill my Diet Coke (a girl's got to watch her weight, right?)...I've actually done the opposite and have been going to the gym, making myself make plans for the weekends I don't have the kids and have only "stopped by" Alex's FB and dive page once or twice. I am getting better and stronger...just not quite like a Hollywood screenplay.
Ugh facebook is killer after a break up...it should have some kind of sensory option that can tell when you've broken up with someone and prevents you from being able to check that person's page. Life might be a lot healthier after that. And I have 3 months until I come back to the states! Yaay weekend plans! ;)
ReplyDeleteI like that you'll be home in 3 months!!! Lots of fun then...3 days worth of partying fun!
ReplyDelete