First, I am so sorry I have not written lately and wish I could blame it on a spur of the moment trip to a tropical island with a single version of Taye Diggs, but alas, no...it is just the crazy life of a mom of two. Wow...that sounds incredibly lame. But, for all of you out there who know what that means, you totally get me and are feeling my pain. Okay, maybe not...I know I hate the I'm soooo busy excuse. So, I vow to at least write every other day; even if my posts are short and sweet...and about pretty much nothing. At least we'll be doing "nothing" together.
So anyhow, my sad note of the day...and before you worry that I really have turned into the crazy cat lady who spends her life trying to get home to watch whatever brain trash shows she has DVR'd this week, just chill! For years (and by years I mean since before buying my first bra) I've been a fan of As the World Turns...yes the soap opera. I would take a hiatus every now and then when I would realize I was looking for Holden and Lily on the street or when conversations about them actually sounded as if I thought they were real people. Now, I was never really that bad but I did have a few years where life just didn't cooperate with me watching my soaps so I took a break. But, for the most part, for almost 30 years I have lived with, cared about, sympathized with and sometimes fantasized about the residents of Oakdale, Illinois.They provided an escape or a trip toward a reality where daily drama was the norm...and appreciated. Where star crossed lovers ALWAYS ended up together...and where, life never just consisted of home and work. Actually, for that matter, you hardly ever saw any of the characters work...just wreak havoc.
Unfortunately, too many people are now working during the day and the daytime talk shows are all the rage (ugh). So, ATWT is saying its goodbyes and I have to admit, this has hit me pretty hard. I liked being able to ride my bike to nowhere while catching up on the activities of my favorite heroes and heroines. But, if I'm being honest, this is probably not a truly bad thing for my life. Maybe I have been living my life waiting for my version of Jack or Holden or Dusty to enter my world and take care of me. This is probably a good reminder that they just live in my television...not in my neighborhood.
I'm finally getting to the place in my life where I am able to see that my life without Alex is actually not a horrible thing. I'm able to think about the bad times and stop myself from texting him (I'm going on 3 weeks right now so cha-ching!!). And, I have made myself think the Alex I knew and loved, actually doesn't exist anymore...and while it happened in Oakdale ALL the time, he's not actually going to come back from the "dead" and live happily ever after with me. All realizations that have taken me months and very non Lily Snyder moments to realize.
But, while the rational side of me knows it is just a soap opera and has no effect on my life, the very nostalgic emotional side of me is going to set aside an hour, a box of tissues and my favorite comfy clothes to say goodbye to my friends of Oakdale....
I've missed your blog....
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize that ATWT was leaving the air. I watched the last episode of Guidling Light when it went off and was quite sad too. I remember growing up and thinking that was what life was supposed to be about, but realized probably within the last 15 years that I could count the number of times on one hand that I could actually slip into bed in the middle of the afternoon was not a reality. Plus, like you said no one actually works...
I did fall into the trap of watching soap operas when I was home on maturity leave with my oldest daughter. I decided when I was on maturity leave with my youngest that I wouldn't watch them - so I was addicted to Game Show Network then.
It has been fun though seeing Holden grow up over the years. Are him and Lily together now or not?
I think you and I spent several hours after school watching Lily and Holden and Dusty...like they were part of our lives. Much more exciting than sneaking out to buy a coke. ;-)
ReplyDelete