Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I have never been a big fan of New Year's Eve...or at least going out and doing the huge celebrations.  Spending hours with a bunch of drunk people I don't know just doesn't rank  up there for me. Go figure!  Some of my best memories are of babysitting with a good friend, calling our middle school boyfriends and fantasizing about the lives we were going to have when we lived next door to each other our whole lives.  Unfortunately there is now an entire country between us so that just didn't happen.

But, for some reason, this Dec. 31st was even less anticipated than years past.  The kids were supposed to be with their dad and I hadn't been inundated with requests to ring in the new year with friends and family so I was in limbo.  We had been invited to the house of a friend from school which was met with great excitement by my son...not nearly as much by his mother.  However, in the spirit of family compromise, my daughter did the annual bowling tradition with her dad and his family and my son and I went to our version of Wisteria Lane for a NYE get together.

As I am one of the only single moms in the school it is always very obvious that I could not make my marriage work...always a fun way to start the new year.  But with this group it is even more so...stay at home moms in their 3000 sq. foot homes with their perfect children and doting husbands.  Granted, I would not want to be married to any of them...or be them but you get the picture. 

I was responsible for a salad and an appetizer.  Everyone knows you are totally judged on your ability to bring the cool dish to a party so I was stuck between trying to impress and my lack of excitement over the event so really not caring about what I brought.  Settling on a citrus spinach salad and baked brie dish I figured I had achieved the perfect balance between ease and decadence.  However, the dilemma hit when I realized serving bourbon soaked pecans over brie at my house would not be a problem but really, is that the impression I want to leave with parents who let their kids come to my house ALL the time.  The one mom who I am closest to and who totally would have appreciated my offering wasn't going to be there.  So, instead of the simple put together and be impressive dish I had been planning, I now had to cook the mixture to simmer off any of the alcohol...all 1/4 cup of it!  Yeah, not getting anyone drunk here.  Yet, I also am the same person who was scared to order Kahlua and cream ice cream at Baskin Robbins as a teen because I was afraid I'd get carded.  Yeah, normally Einstein, but I do have my moments.

Of course, not one child ate the Brie but it was a hit...reminding me I really am good at the whole entertaining thing so why stress about it!  I also decided I am going to throw the NYE get togethers from now on...perfect combination of having people around and not leaving my house. Bonus!  Also, while not a big fan of making resolutions, I am making a request... I really would like to have a partner next holiday season.  Not to even out the table settings or to make me feel complete, but because I do have a lot to offer and think I deserve to be appreciated, admired and adored. 

Looking forward to keeping you all updated and apprised of my exciting adventures in 2011.  Thanks for your interest, your support and your friendships along my journey...they are all so very much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you!! Glad you ended up having a good time at your party. We used to go with several couples and do the package deal at the Radisson for New Years Eve. It was fun but the other couples gradually divorced off and we were the only ones left. Haven't done anything in a few years. We did end up going over to some neighbors to a bon-fire party this year. I only drank 1 beer and ended up spending most of the night worried about a really drunk man(not my husband, by the way) falling into the fire pit...guess I am getting old. Maybe next year I should go back to just staying home and watching the ball drop! I'm sure your middle school buddy would love you living right beside her too! Best wishes in 2011! Keep up the writing, I look so forward to it! TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about our middle school days too that's why I texted you Happy New Year when I did. I wanted to call you and screamed it, but I have growned up a little bit, plus my daughters would've thought I had lost my mind. I agree with TT, I do wish you lived next door or atleast in the same State, but I guess we can't have it all.

    I hope 2011 is a great year for you! Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both are so incredibly special to me...and probably why I continue to write this blog. :-) At least I know y'all appreciate it! Maybe I'll have more exciting stuff to write about this year. Haha!!

    TT - just goes to show age definitely doesn't make some guys smarter. Bummer!!! But so happy it wasn't your husband. ;-)

    Here's to an amazing 2011 for all of us. Love you.

    ReplyDelete