Monday, April 16, 2012

Think like a man

I’ve been surprised by the silly uproar I’ve heard regarding the title of some new movie called “Think Like a Man”. Granted, I think women often get waaaayy to worked up over things that are said and, in this case, I think women are definitely missing the boat. We do need to think more like men because honey, they aren’t going to start thinking like women. Nor would we want them to.


With age comes wisdom (and a whole lot of wrinkles) and after 43 years on this planet, I have at least learned that men seem to have a much healthier view towards relationships with the opposite sex than we do. Well, maybe not healthier but much less stress inducing, jelly bean eating, fretting view. And, personally, I totally get that!

As we all know, I have emotional walls higher than those surrounding Fort Knox and I’ve been working hard on dismantling those or at least de-electrifying them in my quest to not be the crazy dog lady in my old age. I’ve tried the dating scene…and we all know how that has gone. I’m sorry, but if the idea of going out with someone is making my stomach hurt then really, why bother?! I can get a stomach ache from eating too many jelly beans and well, that is just more enjoyable sometimes. So, I’ve stopped beating myself up for not going out with Tony Soprano again and cancelling a date with a local elected official (hello, I married one of those, I don’t need to date another!!). If dating one of them felt right, then I would have gone out with them.

Now, yes, the above paragraph was very chick like which is where my need to think like a man comes in. The Hot Electrician and I had another pretty good concert experience together and the chemistry is definitely there…and I think mutual. But, now, I have to make sure I don’t turn into a phone checking, wondering why he hasn’t called, will I see him again idiot!! I can guarantee he isn’t sitting on his couch at home wondering those same things about me…even if I am all that and a bag of chips! I just don’t think guys are wired that way (well, at least no guy I’d go out with). So, why are we? I want to think like a man this time. It has always been easy for me to think like a man before because I didn’t care as much. With this one, I can honestly say I am interested. It is the first time since I left Alex I can actually say “yeah, wouldn’t mind seeing him more than once…or even twice”. So, that is why I can’t think like a man this time…I care! Darn the luck…caring sucks!

My willpower is pretty strong when it needs to be so I won’t text, won’t call or won’t really even scheme. He is one that could be easily scared away…even if I am awesome. I will just ask for a whole lot of patience, a large bottle of Jack Daniels and every anti-texting trick I have in my arsenal. I think I’m going to need it.

2 comments:

  1. You are all that and a bag of chips! Patience is a virtue and I for one do not have much of it. The older I get the worse my patience gets. Hang in there and eat all the jellybeans you want! (God I love me some jellybeans!)xoxoxo
    TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! This is one I think you guys would like. :-) now, I just have to take it slow...

    ReplyDelete