Monday, February 20, 2012

Thanks for a great evening

One of my favorite lines from "Pretty Woman" is when Julia Roberts says to Richard Gere "If I forget to tell you later, I had a really good time tonight" as they set off on their first "real date".  It is the type of line you want to remember to say to someone before what you know is going to be a very special occasion, but usually forget until the evening is over and then, well, it just kind of loses its punch.  I thought about that line often over the weekend and actually thought about writing my blog for this week before today so I could just give you a glowing report of the last of my birthday celebrations, before the night even happened.  Yes, I realize that isn't reality but again, haven't we figured out that reality is sometimes overrated?

But, I have to say, I'm glad I didn't write this entry early as reality was actually just as good as fantasy land...even if the subject matter might differ just a tad.  I think a trend has started this year with the number of unanswered prayers and getting what I need, even if it isn't exactly the same as what I want.

With a week that included Valentine's Day, the fact I didn't start a new online dating profile or camp outside BevMo for refills, is really cause for celebration so that alone would make me happy.  Granted, I have to admit, I've never been a big sucker for Heart Day but even a lifelong cynic can sometimes get a little touch of the weepy eye when I think about the fact this is the 3rd year in a row where I didn't at least buy a risque card to give to someone.  I guess I could have just bought the card and given it to my girlfriend and told her to pretend she was my Hawaii Five-O hottie...The things our friends do for us.


Anyhow, I helped counsel a friend through the dreaded 14th and then planned the festivities for the end of my birthday month (y'all thought I was kidding about the month thing, didn't you?).  Friday night found me dressed to the nines  and hanging with my GBFF again at his theater company. As we've discussed before, the best way for a pick me up is to dress up and hang out with gay guys.  They're all about the compliments!!  And, when you are feeling a little puffy and not very hot, compliments, even from gay guys, can make your day!

Of course, 24 hours later as I was getting dressed for dinner with my dating boss, her husband, another friend and the Hot Electrician, those compliments were no where to be found.  My jeans were too tight, the shirt I picked showed every extra lump (and not the good kind) and my left eye looked like a relative of the vampires from Twilight.  Not exactly the image I was going for.  But, with the get ready music playing and a Jack & Diet in my hand, I did a little dance in the bathroom and headed for a night of laughter and fun! 

While there were no fireworks this time (literal or figurative), the night reminded me again of why there is just this connection between us.  We make each other laugh and I believe he totally gets my sarcasm (my 2nd language) and from the occasional glances I caught him stealing, he either does find me attractive or he was counting the new wrinkles I know I got for my 43rd birthday. Considering the second thought is not nearly as flattering, I am going to just go with the first and think that yes, he does feel something too.  But, I also believe the situation is a little complicated as I am one of his sister's best friends, his parents like me and I do quite a bit with the family.  For a man not interested in commitment, could you find a worse combination?  Probably not!  But, I actually am a patient person (sometimes) and just believe that at some point in time, we really will date and will probably do it very well. Granted, I also believed I was supposed to stay with Alex and believed my Hokies weren't going to choke in the Sugar Bowl so my track record isn't stellar.  We'll ignore those failures for now though and just think, that yes, there is a tie there and only time (and occasional scheming) will tell.

You will all be happy to know that this is the last of my birthday month entries and I will go back to thinking it isn't all about me. Well, at least for the next 11 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment