I’m afraid there is a very fine line between being the owner of a couple of dogs and being the crazy single cat lady. And, I guess even more afraid that I may edge closer and closer to that oh so important line.
I have several very good friends who are unmarried and own more than one (or two) cats so don’t want to stereotype all single women over 40 with a love of felines as that woman. However, I also don’t want to picture myself growing older, talking to and dressing up my little dogs like Barbies and then wondering why the clerks at the grocery store shake their heads when I walk in the door.
Okay, maybe I’m bordering on the extreme now but I have to admit the thought did cross my mind this weekend when we added a new addition to the family. This was not a complete spur of the moment decision as I had been looking for months for a rescue dog to befriend my poor neurotic cocker spaniel but had always focused on the big, confident, take to the dog park lab type variety. Yeah, that is not at all what we brought home as evidenced by the corduroy jacket my daughter put on him the minute we got home. I am now the proud owner of a “chiweenie”…or in non Legally Blonde vocabulary…part Dachshund, part Chihuahua… pretty sure this puts me one step closer to Kookville.
I did like the feeling that the kids and I were able to pick him out, (or he picked us), buy him, bring him home and let him jump on the couch without worrying for a minute that I needed someone’s approval for the purchase. But, I also did wonder if I just keep putting up barriers to adding another person to my life at some point. In addition to having the Love List longer than many Shakespeare plays, I now will need any man to love my two kids, my Xanax needing cocker spaniel and my sweater wearing oversized sausage. At what point does my baggage no longer come in a cute matching set?
On the bright side, I did add more lights to the house this weekend and am just a few steps away from leaving the pathetic side of the street. More pictures to come soon.
Your new addition is adorable AND sweaters keep little dogs warm, especially little dogs with short-hair. Lulu loves sweaters in the winter. So, you are NOT kooky. You are concerned; and that's a good thing!
ReplyDeleteI love that you totally get and appreciate me, my humor and my crazy family (the two and four legged members).
ReplyDeleteThank you!
As long as little chiweenie isn't embarrassed to go out into public, then you are doing fine. "Chiweenie"..... that's so funny! I'm naming my next cat that!
ReplyDeleteSorry -- from the Crazy Cat Lady.....you're 'almost' Aunt.
ReplyDeleteI love that you read this still...and you are always my aunt! And, definitely not the bad crazy cat lady...just the fun crazy cat lady. :-)
ReplyDelete