Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Comedic visual for your Tuesday

We’ve established that there are plenty of things I’m good at…okay, maybe we’ve spent more time focusing on my areas of weakness but I promise you the positives really do outweigh the negatives. I make a mean Bloody Mary, know how to order the most expensive item on the menu without even looking, can drive like Mario Andretti, and can cook you the best prime rib you’ve ever tasted…see, aren’t I just amazing?! Well, remember those things because today is another one of those things I can’t do.


I live in an incredibly charming, sprawling California ranch style home which I completely love. However, it has been around long enough to almost qualify for historical register status so it has a few quirks and special needs. Renting a house is not where I thought I would be at this point in my life but after being outbid on several homes I decided this was the best move for the time. And, the couple I rent from is absolutely fabulous so I try not to bug them with the little things and try to fix what I can on my own. Okay, I call in favors from friends…I don’t fix things.

Anyhow, the one and only shower in the house falls under the special needs category so I try to baby it and keep the pipes as clean as possible. Well, pretty sure I didn’t read the directions properly on the pipe maintenance cleaning solution as the drain completely stopped working. Granted some people find baths relaxing so being forced to just soak instead of taking a quick shower probably sounds like paradise. Yeah, I’m not one of those people. I can’t get past the idea I’m just laying there in still water that now has soap, dirt (even though I’m not a dirty person) and any left other bath scum I just couldn’t scrub enough. I’m not a total freak as I can enjoy a Jacuzzi tub…the water is moving…I know it doesn’t make sense but it works for me.

So, because I can be a bit independent, and really didn’t want to have to tell the owners I broke the shower, I decided this was nothing a little Dran-O couldn’t fix. After 2 full bottles and a screaming headache from poisoning myself with toxic fumes I broke down and Googled backed up drains. I could handle the plunger…I’ve done that before so went into the bathroom in my pajamas and armed with a glass of wine and the trusty plunger. I mean, seriously, how hard could this be?! Well, after 20 minutes of plunging dirty water, inhaling enough chemicals to fail a drug test, and creating little bleached spots all over my throw rugs, I knew this clog had me beat. After a few more half hearted plunges, I threw in the figurative and literal towel and did what any self respecting woman would do…called my contractor friends for a plumbing referral.

As it was m]y dear gay real estate friend who got back to me first, maybe there’s hope the plumber who shows up today might also be hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment