Friday, May 28, 2010

I realize I am a relatively private person...well, relatively might be an understatement as there are plenty of people in the community in which I live who don't know my former husband and I are divorced, and well, have been for over 5 years. I just don't live my life as a Real Housewife of the SF Bay Area so have been increasingly surprised by the number of family and friends who seem to have the complete opposite problem and have thrown away their much needed share filter.

I have a Facebook account like every other person in the world, and use it to reconnect with friends from across the country, share adorable pictures of my children and post my incredibly witty thoughts and sarcastic tidbits of the day. However, I'm not exactly sure when, for the most part, sane individuals went from making updates as inane as "Had cheeseburgers for lunch" to deciding this was the right medium to announce their 10 year marriage is ending by posting "Friends, looking for an apartment to rent." Really? Because this is what you want your 16 year old daughter to read? Or, your husband's boss? Or really, anyone? I think Facebook should spend a little less time on the privacy issues, and a little more time on the etiquette of social networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment